Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Big Pep Talk of '09

So. I went to Bible study last night. And can I just say that the book of Esther is SO much more than a story about an orphan that becomes a queen?! I am learning an abundance of things about being a woman and all that that entails in God's eyes. What can I say? It's a tough job but someone's got to do it. ;) And I just happen to know MANY women who are doing it well! Like Jennifer Lopez says,
You do what you do and you're doin' it well.
Or something like that. And did I just quote the infamous Jenny From The Block? I'm so embarrassed.
But anyway. Some of you might recall my "Thoughts on Fear" post from a couple of days ago. Apparently I am not the only one that struggles greatly with this. I'm not gonna lie, it's kind of a relief to know that I'm not alone. Well. As God would have it, last night's session was on fear. And HELLO! Just what I needed to hear, because as if all my other fears weren't enough, now we're dealing with a little thing called swine flu. Plus, to make matters worse my husband told me last night that "he just feels weird" and "could I please pick up some cough drops for his throat."
I'm sorry. What?!?!
And if I could just take this moment to sidetrack myself for a minute. My husband is not the greatest of communicators when I'm trying to figure out his symptoms.
Because he likes to help me work on my patience like that.
Not to mention the fact that he WILL NOT GO TO THE DOCTOR TO SAVE HIS LIFE! And with this pig flu floating around, a doctor just might have to save his life. Ok, I'll admit it. That last statement was a little overly dramatic, but can you blame me? So I did the only thing I could do. I told him that if his body started aching and he noticed a cough to please see me IMMEDIATELY! And let me just be real here. I had to hold it together because I had just come home from The Great Session On Fear.
Dear God,
It would be so fabulous if You would wait to test me until the next morning. I really feel that I am so much fresher, therefore; greatly increasing the probability of being successful.
Love:
Aimee
So yeah, the lesson last night totally rocked my world. I liken it to a sort of pep talk from God in which He told me to GET IT TOGETHER. Because really, Aimee, you're letting Satan win. And that my friends is what I like to call The Night I Got A Smack-down from God.
Ok, it wasn't really that bad. But close. Because being ruled by fear is pretty much an insult to the Lord of my life. Am I right or am I right? {Ironically, this rhetorical question is often said to Luke. I think he would disagree on a few issues thus leading to some intense fellowship. But that's not important right now.}
I couldn't possibly do it justice so I will give you the link to where you can hear Beth herself talk about how to escape the tight fist of fear.
And then I will give you the highlights.
Because I care about you.
Without further ado, here's the link:
You will have to pay $5 to download it, but money well spent I say.
HIGHLIGHTS:
  • We were not born to be brave {Amen, sister!}
  • But we can become brave
  • It will ALWAYS be possible for us to be brave {Well, thank goodness.}
  • Courage is denying the reality's authority over you
  • You may be one brave decision away from the most important turn in your path {or something to that effect}
  • The most frequent command in the Bible is "Do not be afraid" {that's right. it's not "do good" or "love your neighbor" etcetera and so on and so forth.}
  • Courage is not the absence of fear but the knowledge that there is something more important than fear!! {someone's quote...I don't remember who. Clearly this person was a genius. Well, that or inspired by God. Probably the latter.}
  • And finally, Esther had a choice. She faced the fear. She TOOK the courage.

Let's TAKE THE COURAGE, and therefore, CLAIM THE VICTORY over this battle!! The worst may happen but God will ALWAYS be good. Always. Even if the worst doesn't happen, suffering is unavoidable. I don't know about you but I am just sick of living in fear and missing out on living life to the fullest!

And now we know how to pray.

Oh! And for the record, Luke does not have The Swine Flu so don't feel like you have to avoid us like the plague.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Oh my friend, you have no idea how your last few posts have blessed me and "smacked me!" I am trying hard be brave but I have my moments. Love you lots.