Thursday, April 2, 2009

Good Thing My Mom Didn't Name Me Betty Crocker

Many of you have heard me talk about how excited I was to start the Esther Bible study by Beth Moore. Well. The day finally arrived and I. Was. Pumped. In fact, I was so excited that I offered to bring the snack on the first night. My plan was to make these amazing cupcakes with chocolate chip cookies in the middle and then ice them with vanilla icing. Sounds easy right? I also decided that I wanted to bring chips and salsa. What was even better about my big plan was that I would only have to buy a couple of things since I already had most of what I needed. After lunch with Luke yesterday, Austin and I ran into the grocery store, picked up the things I needed, and headed home. Everything was going as planned until I realized that I'd forgotten to get salsa at the store. I wasn't about to make another trip to HEB so I decided to start icing the cupcakes while I thought about what else to bring instead.

And let me just take this moment to tell you about the icing job I did on these cupcakes. About the 3rd one, I realized that it was not going well. The sides kept crumbling, I didn't like how the icing was turning out, and I felt like I was smashing the bottom of the cupcake. It was about this time that I made an executive decision NOT to ice every single one. Best decision I made all day. Hands down.

I also decided that I wanted to set one aside for Luke since he asked me Tuesday night {and I quote}

Do we have ANYTHING for dessert in this house?!

Clearly, he had forgotten about the conversation we had not 2 weeks ago about being extra healthy in preparation for our big lake debut in May. Don't worry, though. I was happy to remind him. I am convinced that this is why he chose one of Austin's Nutri Grain bars {also known as a cookie} for dessert. Nevertheless, I took the time to make Luke his very own personal dessert...


In case you can't tell that says "I love you" not "I love vou." It's the thought that counts. Luke was thrilled when he got home and saw it. Here's proof...


He's probably going to kill me for posting this picture but I just love it. It shows a side of him that not many people get to see. He makes me laugh on a daily basis, which is exactly what I need at the end of a long day. :)

I bet you're wondering what else I decided to bring to the Bible study. That would be goldfish. You know you're a mom if you have goldfish and the stuff to make cupcakes on hand in your pantry.

Goldfish and poorly iced cupcakes. That's what I ended up bringing to our first night of Bible study. I felt like walking in and saying,

Hi. My name is Mrs. Keiffer. Welcome to preschool and here are your snacks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

mm... i've heard all about these cupcakes and have been wanting to try them out!

i've been doing the esther bible study on my own and am on week 3... it's amazing and so insightful. beth does a great job. hope you enjoy it, too!