Saturday, January 24, 2009

Some Good News & Some Bad News

Good news! Austin is doing much better and acting more like himself everyday. He still has a cough but since his nose is running some I'm thinking it's drainage and such causing the cough. Regardless, I'm hoping it will be gone soon!

Ok, now for the bad news. Wednesday night my throat started hurting. At first I thought it was just a cold but was a tad bit concerned since it wasn't a "scratchy throat" feeling. I woke up Thursday morning feeling a little worse but took some advil and was feeling ok throughout the day. Then the advil wore off. My throat was hurting. Really bad. I was starting to think that maybe it was more serious than just a cold. Not good. I called my mom to ask her what Claire's symptoms have been when she has had strep in the past. As soon as she answered her phone I burst into tears. People, we're not talking a few tears and a shaky voice. I'm talking borderline sobbing while thinking to myself,

What the heck is my problem?! Why am I acting like a blubbering idiot?

The more I described my symptoms the more I felt like it was strep. As soon as we put Austin to bed and my parents arrived at our house, Luke and I headed to the urgent care near our house. Don't worry. We tried a new one. I was thrilled to see no one else in the waiting room and even more pumped to see Ugly Betty on their tv. I filled out the paperwork and continued to feel worse by the minute. At one point I strongly considered laying down on the floor and curling up in the fetal position. Lucky for Luke (and my sense of pride) I refrained. I was so relieved to hear that I did have an infection so that I could get some antibiotics.

You'll be happy to know that even though I felt like death warmed over (and probably looked the part too) I still managed to keep my sense of humor. Let's be honest, it's all I had at this point. On our way to the doctor's office, I reminded Luke of his good fortune,

You know, you shoud really soak in this time of silence since it hurts my throat to talk. The bad news is that I'm storing up all these words that I'll have to use once my throat is better.

Friday I was starting to feel better and am so thankful that my mom was willing to keep Austin for most of the day. Not only that but she made me some amazing homemade chicken noodle soup. I spent most of my day in bed and only got up to take a shower and change clothes. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I did watch a little Torri and Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood. I don't know what was wrong with me. Maybe the medication was effecting my judgement. I mean, I don't even like them, especially him.

Here's hoping that I continue to feel better and Luke does not get strep. My goal is for all of us to stay healthy. I definitely failed this last month.

I do have some pretty funny pictures to post so I'll try to do that tomorrow. Right now I'm going to watch a little UFC with my husband. Yeah right. I hate that show. Maybe I'll go see if Torri and Dean are on tv. Then again, maybe not. ;)

No comments: