Sunday, March 22, 2009

It's Good To Be Back

Hello, internet friends. It's been a while since I updated this little blog 'o mine because we were in Dallas for vacay. First let me start by saying that it was GLOOOORIOUS to be reunited with my favorite. I cannot tell you how happy I was to see him. Well, I could, but let's be honest, neither one of us has that kind of time.

Anyway. I started our vacation with the most bizarre flight of my life. OF MY LIFE, people! And have I mentioned that I have a new found fear of flying lately? Because I do. And it's irritating. But let me start at the beginning.

Austin and I arrived for our flight in plenty of time to check ourselves in along with 2 ginormous suitcases and a few carry-ons. A big thanks to my dad for helping us in with our mother load. I seriously would not have been able to do it alone. All was going well until the lady asked me for a birth certificate or shot record. Not for me, of course. For Austin. As I flipped through my agenda frantically looking for some kind of proof that Austin was indeed under 2, I prayed that by some miracle one of those had ended up with me. No such luck. Sadly, it was all downhill from there. Once that was taken care of we headed to security where we proceeded to undress ourselves before being cleared to continue to our gate.

Since Austin hadn't had any breakfast yet, I bought some juice and whipped out his snack bag of goldfish. Don't judge. You know you've done something similar, especially when you're single parenting it! If not, then you don't have kids. I was shocked when an older lady approached us, as I was putting said juice in his cup, and asked if Austin wanted some water. Ok. Where do I even begin? First of all, I was clearly filling his cup with something already. Secondly, did I have some sort of flashing neon sign that said I would accept drinks from strangers for my son?! Lucky for her, my mom taught us well and I politely declined.

Finally, it was time to board. Austin was so cute. He be-bopped himself down the aisle while I said,

Keep going. Keep going. Not that row, not that one either. All the way to the back. Ok, right here. Right here, Austin. RIGHT HERE!

Little did I know that everyone aboard was about to hate me and my son. I could not believe it when Austin had the meltdown of the century because I wouldn't let him have his own seat. If looks could kill then Austin and I would've been dead on the spot! You can imagine my surprise when an 11 year old girl asked if she could sit with us amidst Austin's screaming, writhing, and teeth-nashing. Almost immediately after she sat down in the seat, he quit crying. I was really glad to see that the row in front of us and behind us had no one sitting in the middle seat. Why, Lord? Why. She was very sweet to Austin and showed us all of her jewelry. And by jewelry, I mean the several handmade necklaces of plastic beads hanging around her neck.

As we were waiting to take off, the captain annouced that they were going to ask the flight attendants to keep their seats since the ride would be a little bumpy due to the weather; therefore, the beverage service would not be taking place on this flight. At this point my fear was escalating. Not 2 seconds after the announcement, our little friend pulled out the sheet with all the beverages and says,

Here's the list of drinks. What are you going to have? I'm going to have hot cocoa then tea then diet coke.

Now I'm realizing that this was going to be a long flight and an adult beverage would've been nice.

Take off was not so smooth and at some point I'm pretty sure our friend said,

We're going down! We're going down!

Awesome. Thanks to her, my life was flashing before my eyes and I had a death grip on my son who was happily playing with his crayons. Luckily things calmed down and I was able to regain a normal heartrate. I was finally beginning to relax when I heard,

Which one is your favorite? I like this one.

I look over and, no lie, she has pulled out the Skymall magazine and is pointing to a page of ADULT FOOTIE PAJAMAS! I had no words but somehow managed to point to the pink camo ones. I was also reminding myself to be a good Christian witness and show her the love of Jesus. I have to say that even though she was a little odd, she was very sweet and played well with Austin. I guess they had alot in common since she was obviously fond of footie pajamas.

At last, we began our final descent, which would not have been complete without a rerun of "we're going down!" from our friend in the middle seat. I literally wanted to kiss the ground when we stepped off the plane.

To top off this very pleasant traveling experience, a guy almost took Austin AND me out when he tripped over Austin's stroller while we were heading to the baggage claim. He was very apologetic, and I was just glad we didn't end up in tangled heap in the middle of the airport. Because that would've been really fun!

I'm happy to report that things got much better from there, and we had an amazing time with family out at the lake. I have tons of pictures to post and will probably do that tomorrow. For now, I'm just so thankful to be home with all the members of my little family (including Savannah).

And in closing, I would just like to say that if you find yourself admiring a page of adult footie pajamas do not, I repeat DO NOT, ask the person sitting next to you which one they like best.

Y'all have a great week!!

No comments: