Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Day 3...And I'm Still Alive

Today marks my third day of single parenthood. That means that in approximately 2 days I'll be reunited with the love of my life, also known as "my baby daddy," and we'll resume our normal parenting routine...in Dallas. And yes, I did just call Luke my "baby daddy." I have absolutely NO idea what possessed me to call him that seeing as how I am literally as white as they come. We should probably move on before I say something else embarrassing.

Much to my disappointment, Austin did not carry on his new tradition and sleep 'til 8:30 this morning. We were up and at 'em at 6:30. This was especially fun since I couldn't get to sleep until well past 11:00 last night. I was even more pumped to discover that Austin was in a somewhat crabby mood. It would appear that BOTH of us could have used the extra hours of beauty rest for 2 entirely different reasons. I would show you a picture of myself to prove my point, but I won't.

Because I care about you.

However, there were some lucky shoppers at Target that got the privilege of seeing me in all of my unattractive glory! That's right. Despite the rain and cold temperatures, Austin and I did venture out to run some errands. Somewhere between my car and the first errand, I realized that it was really cold. And the wind, well, it was brutal. I'm not really even sure what happend. I guess I just didn't believe Mike Osterhage when he said that temperatures were dropping so we should bundle up if we went outside. Granted, I did dress Austin for some frigid temps but I felt like a simple long-sleeve shirt and jeans would do the trick for me. Should've grabbed a sweatshirt. Oh, and good thing it was raining because I chose to wear my WHITE long-sleeved t-shirt. Awesome.

Also. I did the unthinkable and left the house without a snack for Austin. This was a bad idea. Unfortunately, I did not stop to admit this until we were well on our way to the other side of town. "A pocketfull of sunshine" is not how I'd describe little A at this point. And while we're being honest, I'll just go ahead and admit that I was not the definition of Susie Sunshine myself.

Add to all that the fact that they are no longer carrying my favorite Secret deoderant scent...for the SECOND time...and you have a serious need for some crack burgers on your hands. So that's exactly what we got on our way home. I am so proud to say that this was my first Freddy's burger in quite a few weeks. I was even feeling generous and got Austin some chicken tenders. Which he did not eat. So I broke out the applesauce and called it good. If anyone asks, goldfish and applesauce are a part of a well-balanced meal. I have a strong feeling that I am not only losing the battle but also the war on this one. Jesus, take the wheel. And please, deploy the airbag.

I have to admit, though, that Austin really has been a delight this week. He's taken some great naps and been in the best mood. I guess everyone is entitled to an off day. So, Austin, consider today your mulligan. Is that even the right way to use that term? I don't know. It just sounded good to me.

I told Luke today about another friend of mine that's having a baby. He preceeded to ask me if all these friends had convinced me to keep up and have another one. Of course, my answer was the standard,

Nope. I'm good 'til at least July.

It's a little scary to me that if I were to just say the word, Luke would be on board for baby number 2. Basically, this decision rests on me. The pressure, people. It's almost too much to bear.

AND, while discussing this topic with my mom recently, I found myself throwing the words "potty training"around way too casually because, well, I don't want 2 in diapers. I'm sorry, what?! How did that happen? We're talking about MAYBE trying in July and I'm already committing myself to potty training Austin in the near future. Holy, diaper pail! I can't even fathom entering the world of Spiderman underwear, accidents, and frequent trips to public restrooms. I had to stop and remind myself to take it one day at a time. That and the fact that when the time comes, we will have 9 whole months to prepare Austin and ourselves for another little person. In the meantime, maybe I'll go buy a couple of books on potty training and buying stock in diapers. Because let's face it, if the potty training thing doesn't go well we might want to make a little money in the process.

The good news is that I'll have plenty of time to research this next week. That reminds me. I'll be flying to Dallas with Austin sans Luke on Friday. This is how I picture that going,

Austin, stand right here and don't move. I need to take off your shoes...and your jacket...and my shoes...and my jacket...I mean, is it REALLY necessary to completely undress before going through security? Austin, I said to stay right beside Mommy. No, don't touch that it's yucky. We'll have a snack when we get on the plane. Daddy's not here right now. He's at Grammy and Pops house...Ok, let's get back in your stroller. No you can't get down right now. We'll get down when we get on the plane. Do you want to watch a movie on the plane? No? Well too bad. That's the plan anyway...

You get the picture. As my mom would say, now you know how to pray.

Y'all enjoy this cold weather. Oh, and for the love of pete, don't forget a jacket of some sort when you're out and about the next couple of days...

No comments: