Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Hilariousness That Is Austin

The other day I decided to give my son a chance to branch out and try some grapes. This was a big decision on my part seeing as how the boy does not like to branch out. At all. In fact, I do believe I found a gray hair the other day caused by this fact alone. For those of you that have children that will eat anything and everything placed in front of them...count your blessings. Even though you are tempted to count the dollars it is costing you instead. I used to be able to put something in front of my little man and he would eat it. These days, if it's not something he would prefer to eat, I have to endure several- lo, many- minutes of teeth-nashing and wailing as I try to get him to take a bite. JUST! ONE! BITE! Because usually this is all it takes for him to realize that the food in question is truly something he likes or will like.
(My mother is probably wearing the biggest smile right now since she endured the same teeth-nashing sessions with me. I don't even want to hear it!)
Needless to say, I was feeling brave and broke out an unfamiliar fruit along with a fork and a bright, yellow plate. Because after all, food is as much about the taste as it is the appearance. Or so Rachael Ray tells me. While I will not say that he inhaled the grapes, I WILL say that I think we made some progress. I'll let you judge for yourself, though...




So here he is licking...but not EATING...his grapes while watching Blue's Clues.


Apparently, picking up the grape to lick was just too much work.


Coming up for air to catch up on what's happenin' with Blue.


There are no words.

Pick your battles, right? I chose not to partake in this one because I like the current color of my hair, thankyouverymuch!!

Wanna see another fun trick Austin showed me this week? Ok. Here it is...


You might be wondering what Austin is doing here...


...why, he's just pushing his Cheerios into the crack of the back door. Isn't that every child's favorite activity?! If you'll notice in the picture above, he DOES have his drill handy just in case he can't quite mash one in with his bare hands.


And here is where his secret stash of Cheerios resides...ready and waiting for his next brilliant idea!

He definitely keeps us on our toes! Good thing I had the camera handy to catch him in action. And speaking of cameras, have I mentioned lately that ours is on it's last legs? Well, it is. This is why I chose to take our back-up and soon-to-be sold camera to the Children's Museum in New Braunfels today. I was so excited to take some pictures of Austin shopping for groceries, working in the bank, and getting his workout on in the New Braunfit area. But alas, it was not to be, because when I turned the camera on I was greeted with a blue screen and a red flashing "battery empty" sign. Only there were batteries in the camera AND they were dead. Oh well. I knew we'd be back. We ended the morning at Rudy's BBQ for lunch where Austin decided AGAIN that he did not want to eat his cheese, turkey, or potato salad. As an added bonus, he decided to throw a fit when we wouldn't let him dip his spoon into the cup 'o potato salad.

Dear God. Why do you hate me today?

All in all it was alot of fun, though. We really enjoyed our family time and watching Austin explore a new place. Not to mention the fact, that we (meaning Austin and I) are thrilled to have Luke home from work for the next 4 days!!

Here's to lots more family time this weekend and all the picky eaters of the world!

Happy Thursday :)

1 comment:

Laney said...

You've done it once again...made me laugh out loud. I love it! I loved the part about the potato salad...too funny but so real.