Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"do" a deer, a female deer...

Once upon a time there was a little girl who wished she could sing.


But she couldn't.


She would spend hours praying that God would give her a voice just like her sisters. Her prayers sounded a little something like this:


Dear Jesus: Wouldn't it be great if I could sing?! Then my 2 sisters and I could sing together in a sort of Von Trapp Bauerlein fashion? No? Ok. Well, the thought was fun while it lasted...



It's true. I've always wanted to possess a talent for singing but for some reason God said no to that desire. I don't know. Maybe He knew that if He'd granted me that wish I would have gotten a big head. Or maybe He knew that I would cause all kinds of people to stumble due to their jealousy of my amazing, angelic voice. Yeah. I'm gonna go with that one. :) Whatever the reason, it doesn't mean that I'm not moved by music and those that have been gifted with this ability.


The other day I bought a new CD for Austin to listen to while he falls asleep.


Because eventually we're going to start potty training and something tells me the ocean waves will only cause soiled bedsheets which will result in tears and unbelief that I have reached the Changing Soiled Sheets season of my life. And frankly, I don't have the wherewithal to deal with that every morning.


So I picked up a copy of Sing Over Me: Worship Songs and Lullabies at my local Christian bookstore. Best purchase I've ever made. Hands down! Bedtime and naptime have become one of my favorite parts of the day for reasons other than the obvious. A feeling of utter peacefulness sweeps over me as we snuggle in the rocking chair and listen to the sweet praise music coming from his stereo. Songs like "How Great Is Our God" and "Jesus Loves Me" fill his dark room and provide me with an unexpected, quiet moment to pray while I savor one of the best parts of being a mom.


One of my favorite songs on the CD is "Sing Over Me" by Bethany Dillon & Nichole Nordeman. Here are the lyrics:



I live in wonder of Your love
You rise like the sun in my heart
Even when the night draws near me
There You are...
I will wade in the water of mercy
I will walk in the light of Your will
Whatever should come against me
Teach me to be still
As You sing over me

Draw me close to rest in Your peace
Sing over me
Oh, sing

Sing of Your unending faithfulness
That knows no doubt or fear
And the face of all that I don't know yet
Remind me of who You are
You are mighty
You will save

Rejoice over me with singing
You will quiet by Your love glory over me
Oh, sing!

Now usually I don't make it all the way to this song before I lay Austin in his bed and slip out the door, but one night God made sure my little {or not so little} bottom was still in that rocking chair. As I listened to this song the verse in Zephaniah came to mind:

The Lord your God is with you,
He is mighty to save.
He will take great DELIGHT in you,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.
Zephaniah 3:17

I immediately felt convicted. When was the last time I made myself still before God for the simple purpose of letting Him sing over me? To let Him whisper to my heart that He DELIGHTS in me...warts and all. I spend my days immersed in the chaos that is Wifehood, Motherhood, Sisterhood, and Friendhood. There's laundry, dishes, dinner, and various other tasks that never seem to end. Add to that the unexpected emergencies and issues that arise and you have yourself one busy girl that often doesn't take time for the most important part of any day. Time with the Lord. GASP! Yes. I just confessed that the Daily Quiet Time, it's been lacking.

As a mom, nothing thrills my heart more than when Austin will let me sweep him off his feet in a great big bear hug. Sometimes I'll even get to sneak a kiss in there. It's amazing what details you can savor in a split second...his smell, the sound of his laughter, and the sweet knowledge that he is mine! These moments are quickly becoming few and far between since he has much to accomplish in a day. I guess that's why bedtime and naptime have become such a precious time for me.

So here's my question. When was the last time you let Jesus sweep you off your feet so that He could take the time to tell you that He delights in everything about you? Or maybe you just desperately need the quiet of His love while He sings over you. Wherever you are in your life right now, know this...You are His! He longs to sing over us and His voice is better than the voice of the most gifted person you know. And we all know that person is not me!
However, one day I will make it to Heaven where I will have the talent I've always wanted. Look for me. I'll be the one that has an uncanny resemblence to Carrie Underwood and angels for backup singers! :)

Picture update coming soon!!

No comments: