Saturday, July 11, 2009

happy birthday, austin luke. a little early.

Next Friday my little man will be 2 years old. Since we'll be up at the lake celebrating with party #1, I wanted to do a post today.



Because I'll be busy packing and furiously trying to get ready to leave town all this week.



This time 2 years ago I was very pregnant and praying Austin would come early. At the same time I was wishing that I could just go to sleep and wake up to his sweet face without all the pain of labor. Obviously, God did not grant that wish and I persevered through 9 hours of labor with my favorite teammates Luke, my mom, and baby Austin. I can honestly tell you that it was one of my finest hours while at the same time not my finest hour. If you would allow me to be a little obnoxious, I have to tell you that I was so proud of myself for making it through labor and delivery. The encouragement helped, of course, but ultimately I knew it was up to me and God to do all the hard work.



And we did it! Thus, the reason it was my finest hour.



Now. I did not look so stellar afterwards. Mascara under my eyes and hair that looked like a haystack isn't so attractive. Not to mention looking like a 400 pound woman due to all the fluids they pumped into me. However, I fully intend on doing that a little differently next time. Sorry, all you unfortunate people that get to be in there with me, that's just the way I'm gonna roll! Nevertheless, at the end of this intense process I was a new mom to the most wonderful little boy!



The next few days were filled with lots of visits from friends and family. We celebrated until we couldn't celebrate anymore.



Because we were exhausted. And let's face it. We haven't caught up on that sleep yet, and something tells me we never will.



But after all the visits and stress of adjusting to no sleep and a new member in our family were over, we made some of the best memories. Luke and I were talking the other night about our favorite moments those first few weeks. I remember sitting on the couch watching a movie with Luke while Austin slept next to me. His little feet were sticking out from underneath his blanket and he looked so peaceful.



We also couldn't believe how little he was. And I absolutely loved picking out the physical features that belonged to me and Luke. For example, he had Luke's fingers and toes and my dad's mouth and chin. My mother-in-law said she could see alot of Brittany and Claire in his face and the temperment I had as a baby.



THANK GOODNESS!



Like Mary in the Bible, these were the moments I pondered in my heart. We took lots of pictures to document this new season, and I took as many mental pictures as my brain could hold. There was just something so sweet about having a newborn in our house and the knowledge that life would never be the same. We would never be the same.



Over the last 2 years, I have been blown away by how much he has blessed our lives. He is the definition of joyful and fills our lives with laughter everyday! I could not have picked a better gift from God!



Austin Luke:
I love everything about you: your smile, your laugh, your happy heart...absolutely everything! I feel so honored that God chose me to be your mommy and am so thankful for all the memories we've made so far. You are special in so many ways and I just know that God has something big planned for your life. We can't wait to see what it is.


We love you more than words can say:
Mommy & Daddy

Happy Birthday to my favorite little man!!

No comments: