Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Things I've Learned

Do not adjust your computer screen...This is my second post in one day. I know. I'm outta control!


So. What's the reason for the two-post Wednesday? Well, I'll tell you. Alot of my friends are having babies. And when I say alot, I mean alot. Seriously. I feel like I should have a parking spot reserved for me at Target because that's where I spend most of my days, not to mention my money. Y'all, they've got some seriously cute baby things. I'm talking stuff they didn't even have when I was pregnant! It really is so unfair.


All this baby gift buying and dinner taking got me thinking about the things I've learned since becoming Austin's mommy. I can honestly say that some of my best and worst moments have occurred in the last 2 years. And yes, I did just say worst. Let's be honest with ourselves, people. Being a mom isn't always puppies and kittens running around. There are some dark, never speak of again moments. Luckily, the good far outweighs the bad or else we'd be down to the last couple of people here on earth!


Without further ado, here is my list.



  • If I'm running late, I can GUARANTEE that Austin will have a dirty diaper right before we walk out the door. He will also have on pants with shoes AND I will be hard pressed to find changing supplies anywhere! Those are truly the times that try a woman's soul!!

  • Never, I repeat NEVER, go anywhere without a snack and some juice. Sometimes it's the only trick left in the bag when you've got a cranky child in the backseat. Not to mention, that sanity is not something to be messed with!

  • I have no rhythm whatsoever, but when I'm dancing with Austin, even Beyonce would be jealous of my moves. That's right. Just like when I was pregnant...he makes me look good! :)

  • Yoga pants are every mom's best friend. HOWEVER, this girl cleans up good and nothing is more satisfying than dressing up for a night on the town with my man!

  • With that said, you can be a mom and still look good while you're at it. I cannot tell you how many times I've consoled myself by saying,

I may have spit-up on my shirt but it's the cutest shirt I own so I'm gonna work the shirt AND the spit-up.



  • I will totally be doing this when Austin is a little older. I especially love the "it's like fear factor" comment on the video. Classic and so true when you're that age. But I'd like to offer a little prayer in advance regarding this genius idea.

Dear Jesus,


Please don't let Austin choose Chuck E. Cheese when he fills his card. I claim a Ruth's Chris request, in Jesus name!



  • I LOVE that there is nothing like a mother's smell. It's one of the few ways you can feel set apart when they're newborns and draining all of your energy. Keeping that in mind, I've chosen my perfume carefully since day 1 with Austin. I don't want him associating me with some old lady smell! ;) There will be plenty of time for that.

  • I have never appreciated my parents more.

  • I have never loved the sound of silence more.

  • I have never loved cartoons like Wonder Pets, The Backyardigans, and Blue's Clues more.

  • I have never loved Luke more.

  • I have never loved Jesus more.

I'm sure there's more but that just about covers the important lessons so far. Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it's also the most fun and the most rewarding thing I've done hands down! Also, there is no one else I'd rather walk this parenting journey with than Luke. What an amazing dad God has blessed Austin with! And now, I give you the littlest boss Luke and I have ever had the privilege of working with...


Today, I love my job!!

No comments: