Thursday, September 3, 2009

a sweet reminder

Today I found out that someone I knew in elementary school and middle school passed away after battling cancer for 2 years. I had the privilege of reading through some of her and her husband's thoughts during their challenging journey. I was absolutely blown away by their attitudes and complete trust in Jesus. It was humbling, really.


I was not prepared for how sad I would feel after hearing this news. It's always sobering when someone my age or younger passes away. Even though I knew her for just a brief time, I always enjoyed the updates I heard from mutual friends. I guess that's just the way it is when you attend a small school for 12 years. Needless to say, I just sat on my couch and told the Lord, with tears streaming down my face, that death and sickness just makes me so sad.


And He, in turn, brought to mind a couple of scriptures. The first I read in my Bible study yesterday.



Luke 7:11-15

Soon afterward, Jesus went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a large crowd went along with him. As he approached the town gate, a dead person was being carried out—the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. And a large crowd from the town was with her. When the Lord saw her, his heart went out to her and he said, "Don't cry."


This story really touched my heart yesterday and I'm so thankful God brought it to mind today. I take great comfort in the fact that Jesus doesn't just know how we feel, he is moved by our emotions as we struggle through painful situations. In fact, so precious are our tears to Him that the Bible says He keeps a record of every single one...


Psalm 56:8

You've kept track of my every toss and turn through the sleepless nights. Each tear entered in your ledger, each ache written in your book.

{The Message}


I tend to get so caught up in the fact that He is always in control and knows each situation intimately even before it happens that I forget how moved He is by our reactions and our tears. It was such a sweet reminder to me today that He will always be gentle with our tender emotions. Can I get an Amen from all the moms out there that have ever had pregnancy emotions, baby blues, or pre-empty nest panic attacks?!


Amen. On the first 2 not the last. Yet.


So I rejoice with Lana who is worshiping our Heavenly Father right this very moment. And I praise The One who has conquered death. And sickness. And just overall yuckiness.


Satan. Jokes on you. This is what it feels like to have your butt kicked by Jesus. Glory, Hallelujah, and Amen.


However, I mourn with her family and friends whose tears and aches are being recorded even as I type these words.


Sweet Jesus, draw near and comfort as only You can! May we always take refuge in the shelter of Your wings as the storms rage around us. You are so faithful!

No comments: