Thursday, September 24, 2009

remember the yellow piece of construction paper?

Well, my friends, fall is officially here in the form of rain, cooler weather, and pumpkin spice lattes. I cannot tell you how happy this kind of weather makes me. You know that Twilight series everyone keeps talking about? It's ok if you don't. Just know that you are probably one of about 2 that hasn't heard of it...


What can I say? Honesty is my specialty today.


Anyway. I could totally live in Forks. Actually, I could totally live anywhere in the Pacific Northwest where it rains more than the sun shines. And not because I'm one of those weirdos that asked Stephanie Meyer if her books were an autobiography. Are. You. Kidding. Me?! I just love rainy, snuggle weather like this.


But that's not what I wanted to talk to you about today.


Today, I would like to discuss some Mother's Day Out Thoughts and Observations. First of all, Austin could not love school more if they filled his classroom with puppies, balls, and other such toys that thrill him to pieces. In fact, when I pick him up he is either finishing his snack {because he is the World's Slowest Eater} or playing with his friends and not eager to leave. It warms my heart that he enjoys himself so immensely, and someday should the Spirit lead me to let him go to after care, I will be able to obey knowing that he will continue to have the time of his life. However, I can't bear to be away from him any longer on Tuesdays and Thursdays so the little man will just have to pray for some divine intervention if he wants to explore the world of Late Pickup.


One of the things I love about his new teacher is that she sends out her newsletter via email. Or Me-mail as Luke calls it. Feel free to call him Mr. Creative if you want to. The Lambs Newsletter is really just a way for Ms. Debbie and Ms. Cherie to inform us of what they're doing that month, and most importantly, who brings snack on what day. It just so happens that Austin was in charge of bringing the snack for today. Normally, I remember this the night before or morning of and frantically scour our pantry to see what hasn't been opened yet that can pass for a well thought out snack. But this time I actually prepared way ahead of time and made mini pumpkin spice muffins.


Sometimes I like to call myself Super Mom when no one's around. And sometimes I just thank God that he reminded me of a committment that slipped my mind. I mainly find myself doing the second statement. Just keepin' it real, folks.


So off to school we went this morning with our mini muffins. And blanket. And pillow. And backpack. And lunchbox. In the rain no less. At that point, I was referring to myself as the Pack Mule because I looked a little like what I imagine Mary and Joseph's donkey looked like when they headed out for Bethlehem. No lie. Luckily, Austin found every puddle along the way and was kind enough to stop and stomp his foot in each one. Oh the world of little boy joys! We finally made it to his class where I passed on all his gear plus The Muffins to Ms. Debbie. I'm sure he's having a blast even as I type these words.

And finally, remember The Family Page that I threw together his first day of school? Turns out it wasn't due that day. I know this because my eyes happend to land upon this sentence in the newsletter:

Turn in Family Page ASAP!

What?! You mean to tell me that thing wasn't due the first day?! Great. Well, at least I got it done and out of the way. The only regret I have at this point is that there isn't a picture of Austin and Savannah on his Family Page. Sorry, Savannah. Just know that you are on the Family Page in our hearts.

And on that lame note, I bid you good day.

1 comment:

a pair of pettijohns said...

hey, you really ARE the mom that has it together! way to be one of the first to get the family page in :) there's always next year, savannah...

hope the pumpkin mini-muffin-ettes were as delish as they sound!