Wednesday, September 9, 2009

confessions of a not so together mom

Well, my friends, another week is half way over and do you want to know something? I keep thinking today is Tuesday. HOWEVER. I am more than pumped that it's Wednesday because we are once again in the midst of The Worst Week of the Month. And no, I'm not talking about what you think I'm talking about. I am referring to the fact that this is Luke's week to be on call. The beginning of the fall semester of Mother's Day Out came just in time!
And speaking of Mother's Day Out let's talk about little A's first day, shall we? First of all, in preparation for the big day, we met his teachers last Friday who are WONDERFUL by the way. He had a blast playing with all the toys he'll be enjoying for the next several months. We also took a picture together in which I am 99.9% sure I did not look as stellar as I would have liked. I've come to accept that I can't help the 200% humidity and the fact that it causes my hair to channel it's inner afro and the make-up to melt off my face.
In other words, I did all I could.
That said, we left with a couple of handouts, a handbook, and a yellow sheet of construction paper for pictures of his family.
Fast forward to Tuesday morning. Unfortunately, I put off getting all of his stuff ready until a mere 15 minutes before we had to leave. I should probably also mention that my kitchen looked like the aftermath of the Atomic bomb.
I'm not even kidding.
While I waded through all the clutter on my countertops so as to clear a space to make Austin's lunch, my eyes just happend to land on The Yellow Sheet of Construction Paper. This is the part in which I began to think in ALL CAPS...
OH MY GOSH! I FORGOT TO MAKE HIS "FAMILY PAGE!"
At this point I had about 10.5 minutes to find some pictures, make his lunch, get his backpack ready, and change a dirty diaper that was already starting to make the Aftermath of the Atomic Bomb smell more like nuclear waste. Would somebody please get me a hazmat suit?!
So I flew around the house like the Tazmanian Devil gathering as many pictures as I could find, an extra set of clothes, diapers, and some chicken nuggets for the lunch I was in the middle of making when The First Day of School blew up in my face. After it was all said and done, Austin had himself a nutritious lunch, a fully loaded backpack, and a yellow piece of construction paper with a few pictures slapped on it as well as My Family written at the top. Not my proudest or most creative moment. In fact, I meant to take a picture to document The World's Lamest Family Picture Page, but alas, the dirty diaper took precedence.
Finally. FINALLY! We pulled into the parking lot and unloaded all of his "gear" before we headed up to his class. I took a quick look around the parking lot and noticed that several moms were dressed all nice like they were going to win some kind of Best Dressed Award for their child's first day.
I was not one of those moms.
Remember? I was too busy making The Family Page.
Nevertheless, I held my head high and prayed my hat would hide some of my face as I walked Austin to his class. Once we reached his room and Ms. Debbie took all of his stuff, he walked in to the sound of a little girl screaming her head off. I thought for sure he was going to lose it too.
Because that's just what he does when someone else is screaming. To which I say, if everyone else jumped off a cliff would you?
But instead, he looked at me, smiled, and said:
BYE BYE!!
I waved and told him I loved him as he turned toward the toys. It was at that exact moment that the hymn "No Turning Back" began to play in my head. It went a little something like this:
I have decided to follow Ms. Debbie,
I have decided to play with her toys.
I have decided to follow Ms. Debbie.
No turning back.
No turning back.
He had a GREAT first day just in case you were wondering. I mean the kid was so excited that he didn't take a nap during rest time. I just love that he has so much fun at school. It makes leaving him alot easier and gives me the complete freedom to enjoy my time off.
And there you have it, folks. The unabridged rundown of Austin's first day of school and proof that I am one of those moms that doesn't always have it together.
Hope you all are having a fabulous week!

2 comments:

Laney said...

Where is the pic of you and A?? ;)

Kristin said...

I'm totally convinced that there is no such thing as a mom who "has it all togther." Seriously, if there was there would be no need for grace.
I hope you are doing well and as always I enjoy reading! You have such an honest way of writing and that is refreshing!