Wednesday, January 20, 2010

i've been doing alot of listening lately

Ok. I have like A MILLION things running through my head these days. All of which I would LOVE to share with you.


Lucky you.


In all seriousness, I feel like life has been as crazy as a whirlwind lately, but Jesus has been so faithful to use the quiet moments to speak to me. In fact, sometimes I swear I can hear "Just As I Am" playing softly in the background while He does a fresh work in my life somewhere between cleaning the kitchen and doing the laundry. I feel like the Lord and I have been having some good talks lately. Fortunately for me, I've been talking less and listening more. While I would love to attribute this to a new level of Godliness acheived on my part, I will be honest and tell you that it's probably because Sir Talks Alot requires most of my words on a daily basis. Sadly, thoughts are all I have left at the end of the day, and I've found I have alot more energy to just sit and BE STILL than to prattle on and on about my feelings and whatnot. {And somewhere, right at this very moment, pigs are flying by my husband's window since I'm sure he thought the day I would say this would never come.}


All of this to say that I've spent a great deal of time thinking about deep topics like Fear and Faith, which is surprisingly refreshing since my mind spends most of it's day trying to figure out how to explain the basics of going potty in the Big Boy Potty to a 2 1/2 year old...Jesus, come quickly! Now, fear is a topic for another day...or five. However, today I was listening to a message about faith. Here's the funny thing about faith. It's a pretty intense concept that isn't easy for the average human to grasp. Plus, it has way too many facets for this stay at home mom to tackle today. Like I said, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the fact that my son is old enough for his own special potty seat that apparently will be living in MY bathroom.


But I digress.
What I've learned these last few months is that faith and trust are the opposite of fear. I've been afraid of alot of things lately...what if something happens to Luke? Or Austin. Or my parents.
You get the picture.
And when I'm not afraid I'm worrying. Because I'm a mom and so I'm a multi-tasker. Things like this go through my mind on a daily basis:
What happens when God says no to my heart's desire?
Am I being the best mom and wife I can be? {no army jokes please}
And then one day God spoke to me. It was such a clear message that I felt like I could've looked over and seen Him sitting right next to me. This is what He said:
Believe Me for good things.
Now that is a good word. Hallelujah and Amen.
I've spent so much time worrying about all the things that could go wrong, knowing that He can allow me to be tested in those ways, that I've forgotten how much He loves to give good gifts to His children.


So I went ahead and asked Him to keep reminding me of that. Because I'm a mom and so half of my brain cells belong to Austin, thus making my ability to remember half of what it used to be. And He has. Over and over again. At this point, it's almost a habit to say that to myself when I'm tempted to fear instead of trust and have faith.
Believe Him for the good. Even as undeserving as we are, He still loves to give good things to us!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great reminder for us all, Aimee! Thanks for saying it so eloquently!