Monday, February 1, 2010

sing it with me...a whole new world!!


I grew up in a family of girls.
Dresses, dolls, and drama were a part of our everyday routine.

We loved every minute of it. My dad not so much. He preferred a little less drama.

I  have to admit. I was more than a little nervous when I found out we were having a little boy. I mean, really, are you surprised? You should know by now that I do better when I know what to expect. But for some reason, God prefers to be the One in control. Weird, I know.

So there I was. Getting ready to start a completely new journey in more ways than one. I quickly realized that the world of little boys is much different than that of little girls. Half the clothing racks, fewer choices for shoes, and they WILL pee on you. {Thankfully, Austin never got me with "Old Faithful."} However, I was finding that this new experience was more wonderful than I could have imagined.

Dolls have been replaced with dump trucks.
Less shoes and drama less. Hallelujah and Amen!

But the best surprise by far has been discovering that little boys love their mamas. There's nothing like it. His face lights up the moment I walk into the room. He tells me I'm beautiful and I know he means every word. For just a little while, I am the only girl that matters to him, and I am savoring every moment. I had no idea how much I would love my son. From the moment he was born, we've shared a special bond. After all, I birthed that boy. We better have a special bond.

{Don't worry. He and his daddy have a special bond too. It would seem that things like burping and wrestling strengthen it. I'm ok with the wrestling just not the burping. Totally gross.}

He is my buddy and we do everything together. We make memories while on Sonic dates, running errands, and doing housework. He tells me things like who kissed him at school or that the thunder scared him last night. And when he's not talking to me, he's singing to me.

There are definitely days that I feel I've failed. Failed to have patience. Failed to put him first. Or just failed in my overall attitude. But I pray that for the most part, I can model what it means to be beautiful on the inside. I hope that he will see what a treasure a Godly wife and mother are through my example. And let's not forget giving him ample opportunities to learn what it means to love someone even when the outside is less than pretty. We strive for a well rounded education here in the Keiffer family.

I know the day will come when another girl will steal his heart and our relationship will change. However, I hope that these years will strengthen the bond that was created when I looked into his little eyes for the first time and realized that, for better or worse, I was his mom forever. And how thankful I am that God gave me Austin Luke Keiffer! He is such a blessing.

So while I spent my growing up years in a house full of girls, I'm spending my grown-up years in a house full of boys. For now, anyway. It's proof that miracles do happen. I can love change after all. Feel free to look for some flying pigs.


4 comments:

Andrea said...

Beautiful post sweet friend.

a pair of pettijohns said...

i love how God knows JUST what we need...even when we momentarily think we need something different. it's almost like He created us or something :)

i loved reading about your love for your boys! can't wait to see what the future holds for the keiffers!

Unknown said...

very nice blog.....
Aman Toor
Linux

mike's furniture making said...

hey great blog i like the way you have set it all out its great!! check out mine ?? http://maintainingatropicalfishtank.blogspot.com/