Friday, June 19, 2009

on a scale from 1 to 10, this wedding weekend is AMAZING!

Friends! Once again it's been too long since we've chatted. Or really I chat and you read.


We're officially in Tulsa for the big Wedding Weekend of '09. I cannot tell you how pumped I've been for this weekend. First of all, it meant a trip back to Tulsa. A place of fond memories and best friends. Second, it's the wedding of one of our good friends. Let me tell ya. Luke and I have waited to see who God would bring to compliment Matt. He is such a neat, Godly guy, and we just knew He had someone extra special for him! Kind of like when God gave me Luke. And speaking of, tomorrow will mark 6 years TO THE DAY that the love of my life proposed. I mean could this weekend get any better? The answer is no. No it could not. Well, actually, I take that back. Luke's grandparents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary too. God is so good, isn't He? They are such a wonderful example of love and commitment.


And now let me tell you about the ultimate joy sucker named Satan. He's worse than a vaccum. Truly. The trip up here was not one I'd put on my list of Top 10 Best Roadtrips. We started out with a cranky son followed by a little visit with the Kyle Highway Patrol and rounded it all off with a couple of lanes closed on I-35. Pure joy I tell you. Pure joy.


Do do you know what that tells me? It tells me that this weekend is going to be a blast. Why else would Satan want to suck the joy out of a celebration of a new marriage and the accomplishment of 50 years in a world where divorces are more common than Starbucks?


All of these celebrations got me thinking about marriage in general. And more specifically what God has taught me about marriage since May 22, 2004. It is so much more than just "doing life with your best friend." It's about compromises, adjustments, and transitions. It's learning to love the sight of his dirty socks on the floor because it means that he is a constant, steady presence in your life. It's sleepless nights with your first born and date nights at home because you're too tired to go anywhere. It entails playing games like "when was the first time you knew you loved me" and "remember when." But more than anything it's about holding tight to each other when the world encourages the exact opposite. We cling to each other when Satan would love nothing more than to tear us apart. We never give up. We never give in. And we never stop praising the One who brought us together that we may glorify Him in every aspect of our marriage because without Him we wouldn't make it!
In the same way, we hold tight to our Lord and the promises He's given us even when the journey seems long and painful. We strive to run the race with perseverance because we know what waits for us at the end. And I am so honored that I am running this race with Luke, my best friend, soulmate, and love of my life!

Luke, I am so glad you asked me to marry you 6 years ago. I pray God blesses us with many, many more years together so that someday we can celebrate 50 years too! I love you with all of my heart for the rest of my life!

No comments: