Thursday, June 25, 2009

the house that aimee & luke built. kind of.

This, my friends, is what I like to call Our First House.

Because I'm a fan of stating the obvious.

While we were in Tulsa last weekend, Luke and I had the privilege of driving out to Owasso to see what's become of that little beauty pictured above. First of all, I am aware that this is not the best picture I've ever taken. I do apologize. It's just that it's hard to concentrate on the best angle when you're paranoid that someone hanging out in the neighborhood will think you're creepy for driving real slow while taking pictures.

True story. One Saturday morning there was a knock on our door. I was furiously running around the house, Tazmanian Devil style, trying to finish getting ready to go to Oklahoma City for a spontaneous Valentine's weekend getaway. I was especially excited about this trip since it would be our last one together before Austin joined our little family. Luke had just left to take Savannah to our vet for her own vacay so it was up to me to deal with whoever was at the door. I mentally prepared my "I'm-not-interested-in-the-latest-knife-set-plus-a-bonus-magazine-subscription-of-my-choice-for-ordering-today" speech. Well. Imagine my surprise when I opened the door and there stood a perfectly fit girl about my age. Clearly, she was not a Cutco representative. I could not even begin to guess why she was standing on my doorstep on a Saturday morning. I kid you not, this is what she said:

Hi. Are you the owner of this house? (I assured her I was) Well this is going to sound really weird and I'm kind of embarrassed (great start. i'm already pumped to hear what you're about to say) but I think your husband was taking pictures of me while I was jogging yesterday morning. (i'm sorry. WHAT?!)
Keep in mind that I'm pregnant. And definitely showing at this point.

I wanted to tell her to sell crazy someplace else because we're all stocked up here, but instead, I told her that there was no way he would be doing something like that. To which she said,
Well, is that his blazer parked in front of your house?
I told her yes, because along with stating the obvious, I'm also a fan of telling the truth.
That's the truck I saw yesterday morning.
I racked my brain trying to think of anything that would free Luke from her ridiculous accusations. At the same time I was fully aware that I was coming across as a pregnant wife in denial of her husband's creepy hobbies. So I said the only thing I could think of,

Ummm, well, he was pulling a trailer yesterday too. Are you sure it was his truck and not someone else's in the neighborhood?
I also may or may not have thrown some teenage kids down the street under the bus even though I knew neither of them owned a blazer.

Oh. I guess it wasn't him because the truck didn't have a trailer behind it. I am so sorry. And I'm really embarrassed.
I have to admit that I was pretty annoyed not to mention a little angry that she had knocked on my door and accused Luke of something so shady! I totally should've faked some early labor pains, but I didn't. Because I'm nice like that. And she did look pretty embarrassed.
In an effort to save face, she informed me that "she usually doesn't do stuff like this, but she saw the truck and thought it was probably a teenager taking the pictures." Yeah. I definitely got that vibe when my very pregnant, 24 year old self opened the door. And I can TOTALLY see how you would mistake me for a teenage boy's mom.

Would someone please get me the name of an excellent plastic surgeon, because apparently an overhaul is in order if Miss Physical Fitness is confused as to my real age.
And because we had nothing BETTER to do at the crack of dawn, Luke and I got up super early the next Friday in order to set up our camera on a tripod, throw on our night vision goggles, and wait for our new friend to round the corner. That sounds just like us doesn't it?
But I'm not bitter. Just a little more cautious these days when driving through neighborhoods and taking pictures. Even if these pictures are of a place that holds so many favorite memories.

For example, there was the conversation Luke and I had in the kitchen about the fact that raising kids had to be easier than potty training a new puppy.
Oh, to be young and stupid again.

I will also never forget how deeply satisfying it was to pick out all of the interior fixtures in less than an hour. We impressed the lady helping us for sure, but I knew it was just further proof of how perfect we were for each other.
And then there was the day that Luke brought home the monstrosity that is our big screen tv. Here's how that little convo went:

Me: Do you remember when I said I wanted a dog and you weren't a huge fan of that idea? But you let me get one anyway because you knew it would make me happy?
Luke: Yeeeeess....
Me: Well, this would be the equivalent of me bringing home a dinosaur instead of a dog.
Luke: So what you're saying is that we should name our new tv "Dino?"
Lucky for him, I'm a fan of movie watching sans paying an arm and a leg. And also, we found a fabulous entertainment center to house Dino.

Having friends and family over also makes the list. There's nothing like sharing God's blessings with the ones you love the most. But my most favorite memory we made in the Owasso House would be the day we brought Austin home. My parents greeted us at the door while my sisters helped unload our car. I will never forget how it felt to finally be home with my new family while enjoying the company of my "old" family.
And I use the term "old" in the nicest, most complimentary way possible.
I take great comfort in the fact that other than some cheap, landscape lighting, the house looks the same. Right down to the company truck parked in the driveway. But even if it had looked completely different, it would still be the house in which we began building our family. We would still be able to recall our favorite memories and stories that we shared there together.

The Owasso House will always have a special place in my heart because it's where I feel like our story truly began.
Well, that and the fact that it's the only place where Luke's been accused of taking shady pictures. You know, since he's the one taking pictures of the scenery on vacation. And by scenery, I mean things that are not wearing jogging shorts.

2 comments:

The McFarland Family said...

so you never answered the question about why exactly Luke was taking pictures of the jogging girl... ;)

Andrea said...

"Sell crazy someplace else...we're all stocked up here!" I laughed out loud! Totally had forgotten about that!