Wednesday, February 24, 2010

i think i'll try walking on water for a change

Well, the sun is finally shining here today. Wonders never cease. I'm convinced that orange ball of fire heard me singing..."Let the sun shine in! Face it with a grin!!" and decided to make an appearance.

You're welcome, San Antonio.

But that's not what I want to talk to you about today. I would like to discuss a small four letter word that starts with an "F." No. It is not a cuss word so get your head out of the gutter. It's a little word that's wreaked havoc on my life lately. HAVOC, people! Are you ready?

Fear.

You know what I'm talking about because if this wasn't such an issue for so many people, God wouldn't have addressed it so much in the Bible. I think most of you are aware that I tend to worry, but lately that worry has taken a serious turn to Out of Control Town. Population 1. Now, we all know that God doesn't let us get by with allowing strongholds to rule our lives for long. So I'm sure you can imagine the kind of talks we've been having as of late. This is how you know God is pursuing you and literally forcing you to deal with something: He will not leave you alone. You will find Him speaking to you through the most random people, things, or blogs. Yes. I said blogs. I can't fool Him, you know. And clearly, He's not above using a little blog stalking to speak some truth today. Can I get an Amen?!

Amen.

So. A mental visual was on today's agenda. Let's just start with the verse.

Matthew 14:28-31
"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."
"Come." He said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water, and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"
Immediately, Jesus reached out His hand and caught him. "You of little faith," He said, "why did you doubt?"

Picture, if you will, a raging sea and a boat full of disciples. All of the sudden they see someone WALKING ON THE WATER toward them. And they think it's a ghost. Say what?! Am I the only one that thinks this is a little ridiculous? I mean this group of guys has spent countless days watching Him do amazing miracles. What's a little stroll on the water? During a massive storm no less. So there they are. Freaking out. And Jesus takes pity on them by saying, "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." Now if it had been me I would have said something like this:

Are you kidding me?! Who else would it be? I just told you guys to get in the boat and I'd meet you. Clearly, I do things a little differently since I am the Son of God and everything.

And that, my friends, is why I didn't get the job.

Meanwhile, a certain disciple, who shall remain nameless, is muttering something about how he just can't believe it's Jesus. He'll need some proof first! But you gotta love Peter. He actually "took the courage" instead of cowering in fear. You know Jesus smiled as Peter climbed out of the rocking boat onto the water. Imagine the look of total surprise on Peter's face once he realized he was, indeed, walking on the water. And then it hits him. He's walking on the water. During a huge storm. And he dropped out of swimming lessons when he was a boy. Not good.

"Save me!" he cried as he began to sink. Immediately. Let that sink in. IMMEDIATELY, Jesus reached out His hand and caught him.

Isn't life a little like walking on water? It takes courage and faith. But most importantly, it takes complete trust in our Heavenly Father. There is no room for doubting and fear. It is not easy. But it is not impossible!

The bad news is that we're human. There will be times that we feel ourselves sinking back into that "slimy pit." All we have to do is cry out to Jesus. And like the verse says, He will reach out His hand immediately and catch us. But you know what this particular part of the story taught me? He wants us to cry out to Him for help. Don't you think He knew exactly what Peter was thinking as he stared at the wind and waves? He could've stepped in right then. But he didn't.

He wants us to know and admit that we need His help. Those of us from the South should understand this approach completely. Never underestimate the value of a sincere invitation. Just think. How much more does it mean when you call out for Jesus and HE SHOWS UP?! Right then. What a testimony in a world of daily abandonment on every level! He is your hero. Your very own knight in shining armor, and He will never fail to save the day. So why do we doubt? Why do we allow Satan to win by living in fear?

Fear keeps us in the boat. Courage allows God to do some amazing things as we walk on water. He didn't promise it would be easy, but He did promise that He would always be right there.

So today God told me that if I'm going to believe him for good things then I'm gonna have to get out of the boat.

Message received. Thanks.

1 comment:

Esther said...

Its so encouraging to read that God stalks other people too! :)
Fear does limit us, and I don't want to live a limited life. Thanks for the reminder,
have a lovely day!