Wednesday, February 3, 2010

here's how i really feel about rain and life in general

Whelp. I figured it was about time to update the 'ol blog on life lately. Not that all of you are just dying to know about our daily activities. Well, maybe some of our far away family would enjoy it. You see, one of the reasons I started this blog was so that I can refresh my memory from time to time when it comes to Austin, Luke, and life at the Keiffers.

Let's see. It's seems like it's been raining here for days. In fact, sometimes I wonder if I'll look out our window and see Noah and his ark floating by complete with 2 of every kind of animal. I bet it would really smell so here's hoping he's taking another route. Like maybe somewhere near Austin's school. Although I LOVE Coker, it would appear that I've chosen the only Mother's Day Out in a flood plain; thus, making drop off and pick up quite the adventure. In fact, he may not have to go to school tomorrow because all the roads leading to his school may be flooded completely. All of the sudden North Loop Road has become Lake Coker.

I don't mind the rain. I actually welcome it after Summer '09 otherwise known as The Summer I Realized I Might Have Seasonal Affective Disorder {aka: SAD} in reverse. Call me crazy but dead plants, grass, and trees just don't scream happiness. I mean, you know it's bad when you start singing "Come On Get Happy" to yourself throughout every day!!

But here's the deal. All this rain is starting to make me a little grouchy. I'm not sure what to wear because what if I decide I need to run a couple of errands? Of course, I'll have to wear jeans but then the bottoms get all wet because puddles like to hide in parking lots and sneak up on you when you're trying to carry your 2 year old and hold an umbrella AND put his hood on. So then they're dragging behind me making this dorky noise because we all know that when the bottom of our jeans get wet they get longer. Cool. Do you see my dilemma? Austin, on the other hand, is drawn to water like Heidi Montag to plastic surgery. I guess I can't blame him since the for the first 2 years of his life he hardly ever saw any rain. I thought about getting him some rain boots at one time but then I thought to myself:

Self, will you really get your money's worth. I mean think about it. It rains here about as much as it does in the dessert.

Turns out, jokes on me because El Nino decided to make an appearance, and lo and behold, we have rain. So when I'm feeling a little grumpy and mad at the rain, I just remind myself what it felt like to have million degree weather coupled with brown, brown and more brown. Plus, I can always take myself to the Red Dot Boutique {aka: Target} and get Austin some rainboots. Let's face it, there's nothing retail therapy can't fix.

Austin has been so fun lately. He's still talking up a storm which causes fun nicknames like Sir Talks Alot and Motor Mouth. In addition, sometimes I want to ask him if he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle. But for the most part I love hearing all about the things he's thinking and feeling. Here are just a few things he's told me lately:

When I noticed he was sitting in his highchair with his cheek in his hand I asked him what he was thinking and he said: I'm just thinking about my day. Mind you, it was very late in the day. Like 8:00. AM. 

He tells me who went to time out at school so of course I have to ask if he ever has to go to time out. His response is priceless:
No. I not have to go to time out. But, I go to time out at Mommy's house.
Lucky for me, those times are few and far between since he's such a good little boy.  

He was sleeping in our bed one night and rolled over, almost hitting me in the face. So I said:
Austin please be careful.
What's the problem, Mommy?
You almost hit me in the face.
Oh. I sorry, Mommy.
Precious.

He's so much fun and the ray of sunshine in the rainy days we've had lately. In other news, I've spent the last several days watching all of the Harry Potter movies. Well, not all of them. I still have one more to go. I don't even know what to say for myself. It's as if I've regressed and suddenly I'm obsessed with Young Adult fiction. Hopefully, I'll rejoin my age group soon.

On a completly unrelated note, I spent the majority of last week in the depths of despair. I had some sort of stomach bug on top of being told my parents were putting their dog to sleep. There were some dark days, people. It is NO. FUN. trying to keep up with a 2 year old when you have a fever, headache, and stomach woes interspersed with swollen eyes due to random crying spells. By the end of the week, I was ready to punch myself in the face just to put myself out of my misery. As you can see, things could only go up from there which is why this week has been MUCH better than last. I still have moments of sadness about the dog that was a part of our family for 10 years, but Robert Emmitt says that all dogs do go to Heaven. And I believe him. End of story.

Well, if you've made it this far then bless your heart. You are a true friend or devoted family member. Congratulations. You win the award. I'm off to fold more clothes so that I can look in my closet and complain that " I have NOTHING to wear." And technically, I don't when it's raining!

2 comments:

Laney said...

Stomach bug? Is it the 9-month variety? Also, I know how you feel...December 1 was last post for me. My inspiration hasn't hit. Maybe I should just suck it up and blog it off.

Aaron Thomae said...

I really enjoy reading your blog, please read mine and let me know what you think!

bestvacationdestinations.blogspot.com/

Keep up the good work!