Thursday, February 10, 2011

some thoughts on winter

I have never been so cold for an extended period of time in. my. life. Let's be honest. Part of the appeal of moving down to south Texas was that IT DOESN'T GET THAT COLD HERE! And yes, being closer to family was an added bonus. Here's something I bet you never knew: you can get cabin fever without millions of feet of snow that result in thousands of snow days.

It's called windchill, people, and I'm just not a fan of getting in my car and going anywhere when it feels like -19. Ok. Maybe that was a tad dramatic since my friends up north are actually experiencing those temperatures. My condolences. I wouldn't last a day in that kind of weather. It's like my friend Andrea said:

It's like winter got into a big vat of Muscle Milk.

Truer words were never spoken. 

Scarves are my new BFFs since all my super warm coats won't zip anymore. You'd think being about 8 months pregnant would keep you a little warmer than everyone else. Think again.

When we went to visit Britt and Jon in Boston over Thanksgiving, we got to do a lantern tour in Plymouth. You know, in honor of the Pilgrims. That particular day was extremely windy; therefore, making the 40 degree temps feel more like -40. And no, this time I'm not exaggerating. I remember thinking,

I sure am glad it doesn't get this cold in San Antonio!

Turns out jokes on me because apparently it can get that cold in San Antonio. So here I am having flashbacks to Plymouth and the lantern tour that felt like it would never end. I will say that my favorite part of that evening was seeing Britt wrap her scarf around her head like a little babushka because she didn't think she'd need a hat. Jon did too, in case you were wondering. And then, being the amazing uncle that he is, pushed an empty umbrella stroller around the town since Austin decided to have a meltdown which resulted in Luke carrying him. {aaand a really long runon sentence} It may sound like we didn't have fun, but surprisingly we did. I think it was all the jokes and memories we came away with after enduring the bitter cold. We even outlasted the family from Minnesota.

I guess the moral of the story is that you can still have fun and make memories in the bitter cold...like teaching your son how to make a snowball after it snows in San Antonio. Still I have one thing to say to Winter 2011:

Dial it down. Nobody likes a one-upper.

Stay warm, friends!!

No comments: