Monday, February 14, 2011

happy valentines day

I am blessed to have 2 men in my life that have always done a wonderful job of making me feel special.

My very first Valentine was my dad. It's amazing that someone who was raised in a family of all boys could be so good at raising girls and making us feel special. Looking back, I remember Daddy/Daughter dates, the loudest voice in the crowd during my cheerleading days, and unexpected moments of advice. He's the reason I love my Heavenly Father so much and why I never settled when it came to dating. When the time came to walk me down the aisle, he did so without the Steve Martin antics in Father of the Bride. I know it was bittersweet for him, but let's be honest, he was only sad until he thought about the raise he was about to get. He is a blessing and I'm so thankful God made Pete Bauerlein my dad.

Luke is my second Valentine. The one I waited for for about 18 years.

No lie. 

To say he was worth the wait would be the understatement of the year. He is patient and kind. Gentle and humble, except for maybe when he's been proven right. He is the answer to all the prayers I prayed so long ago. But more importantly, he challenges me and smooths my rough edges. He always sees the best in me and believes I can do anything even when I doubt myself. I look at him and am reminded of many of the characteristics I love so much about Jesus.

Simply put, he is my best friend. The person that can make me laugh like no one else, push my buttons like no one else, and love the good and bad like no one else. Together we've faced the ups and downs of life, and through it all our marriage has been made stronger. After almost 7 years of mood-swings-without-warning, sleep-deprivation-due-to-having-kids, and more-things-on-our-to-do-list-than-we-have-time, he is still one of the best things to ever happen to me.

So to my favorite I say:

I love you more and more everyday!!


Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first,"
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7

No comments: